Although wrinkles can signify wisdom, most people nowadays would rather not have them. Many products and procedures promise to reduce wrinkles. Some do little or nothing (like the products that claim they reduce “the appearance of fine lines,” which means that they don’t reduce the lines themselves). Others can achieve a fair amount of success.
Skin ages all over the body, but much more so where there has been sun exposure. Changes brought on by sun damage (photoaging) include “dryness” (really roughness), sagginess, skin growths like keratoses (“liver spots”), and wrinkles.
Most wrinkles appear on the parts of the body where sun exposure is greatest. These especially include the face, neck, the backs of the hands, and the tops of the forearms. Wrinkles come in two categories: fine surface lines and deep furrows. Wrinkle treatments are in general much more effective for fine lines. Deeper creases may require more aggressive techniques, such as injection of fillers or plastic surgery.
What factors promote wrinkles?
Factors that promote wrinkling include:
- Light skin type (people with blue eyes and easily burned skin are more prone to sun damage)
- Heredity (some families wrinkle more)
- Hairstyle (some styles provide cover and protection against sun damage)
- Dress (hats, long sleeves, etc.)
- Occupational and recreational habits (farming, sailing, golfing, using tanning booths, and so forth)
Some of these factors are beyond our control. The main preventive measures we can take are to minimize sun exposure and not smoke.
SPF numbers on sunscreen labels refer to protection against UVB radiation (shortwave ultraviolet light, the “sunburn rays”). More and more sunscreens offer protection against UVA radiation (longer-wave ultraviolet light) as well. UVA rays are the ones you get in tanning salons; they may not cause immediate sunburn but do promote sun damage and skin cancer risk over time. (Sorry, but there is no such thing as a “safe tan.”)
How are Fine Lines and Wrinkles Treated?
Our wide range of laser technologies provide safe, non-surgical options to skin rejuvenation and can create dynamic results with minimal to no downtime. Our laser treatment options include:
- BBL™ Photofacials: This light-based therapy gently targets signs of aging in the outer layers of skin while the thermal heat stimulates the increased production of collagen for continued improvement over time.
- Clear + Brilliant: A fractional non-ablative laser, Clear + Brilliant addresses early signs of aging and increases collagen growth to help maintain healthy, glowing skin. This laser treats fractions of the skin at a time to improve the skin at a cellular level while decreasing recovery time.
- Laser Micropeel: Gentle laser settings are used to remove thin outer layers of skin, revealing fresh, vibrant skin underneath and stimulating the skin’s natural response to “heal” itself on the inside out for natural, long-lasting results.
- ProFractional ™ Laser System: Also a fractional laser, this system creates small microchannels in small areas of the skin to stimulate its natural healing response and repair fine lines and wrinkles naturally with increased collagen and elastin production.
- Thermage®: Utilizing non-invasive radiofrequency technology, Thermage® gently heats deeper layers of skin while the epidermis is kept cool for patient safety and comfort. Lines and wrinkles can be successfully eradicated from the face, eyes, and other areas of the body.
Comprised of hyaluronic acid and other substances that help plump and volumize the skin, dermal fillers are administered with a fine needle and create immediate results that can last for several months with optimal treatment:
- Emervel®: With products designed for moderate and severe wrinkles in the face, Emervel® has a wide range of uses and a high rate of patient satisfaction. Lines around the nose, mouth and eyes can be safely and effectively treated.
- Perlane®: Once injected into the sites of lines and wrinkles, Perlane® creates immediate volume and lifts the skin for natural-looking results.
- Restylane®: With a 95 percent satisfaction rate and treatments performed worldwide, Restylane® can help correct visible signs of aging and also provide subtle lip enhancement.
Similar to the way dermal fillers are administered, neuromodulators are purified protein solutions derived from the botulinum toxin that are injected into facial muscles for temporary relaxation of lines and wrinkles:
- BOTOX®: One of the most popular neuromodulators, BOTOX® has been extensively studied and can effectively relax your appearance while maintaining your natural facial expressions.
- Dysport®: As with BOTOX®, this neuromodulator blocks nerve signals from causing underlying facial activity that can cause visible lines and wrinkles. Results are often visible after one to five days, with optimal results occurring after about a week.
Medical-Grade Skincare Products
Although there are conventional skincare products available almost everywhere you go, these products are not designed with optimal patient safety and results in mind. We offer skincare products from multiple leaders and innovators in the skincare industry such as Elta MD and Obagi to help compliment our skin rejuvenation treatments and help you maintain your smoother, softer skin at home.
Contact Laser Health Works today to schedule a consultation and have your fine lines and wrinkles evaluated to determine which treatment options are best for you.